The arrival of large numbers of asylum seekers in Europe in 2015 resulted in the experience of a “crisis”. However, compared to the European Union Turkey hosts 10 times more refugees per inhabitant, and Lebanon even 100 times more. Nonetheless, the European Union expects these countries to host more refugees. In my analysis, the experienced “crisis” is not a result of the number of refugees, but of fundamental shortcomings in the European asylum system. This analysis is developed in two bigger articles (Coercion, Prohibition, and Great Expectations; and The Crisis of European Refugee Law). The other articles address elements of this broader analysis.
- Got the picture? (2017)
- Advice in CJEU Case C-638/16 PPU on prejudicial questions concerning humanitarian visas (2017, with Yussef Al Tamimi and Evelien Brouwer)
- Fact Check: Did ‘Wir Schaffen Das’ Lead to Uncontrolled Mass Migration? (2016)
- Fact Check: Did the EU-Turkey Deal Bring Down the Number of Migrants and of Border Deaths? (2016)
- Minimalist Reflections on Europe, Refugees and Law (2016)
- Dwang, verbod en grootse verwachtingen: over het falende Europese asielbeleid (met Maarten den Heijer en Jorrit Rijpma, 2016)
- The Crisis of European Refugee Law : Lessons from Lake Success (2016, with Hemme Battjes, Evelien Bouwer, Lieneke Slingenberg)
- Is the EU-Turkey refugee and migration deal a treaty? (with Maarten den Heijer, 2016)
- Coercion, Prohibition, and Great Expectations. The continuing failure of the Common European Asylum System (with Maarten den Heijer and Jorrit Rijpma, 2016)
- The NATO pushbacks in the Aegean and international law (2016)
- Crocodile tears over Aleppo (2016)
- Turkije-deal kan nieuw ‘Srebrenica’ worden
- Advocating human rights as gorilla behaviour
- The systemic failure of the Common European Asylum System, as exemplified by the EU-Turkey deal
- Asielzoekers teruggestuurd door de NAVO, mag dat?
- Europe’s Refugee Crisis: A Perfect Storm
- Meer doden en smokkel van mensen (met Tamara Last, 2015)
- EU Border Plan is a Texbook Example of Tunnel Vision
- Geert Wilders’ grandma was a refugee too
- Border control has boosted irregular migration
- Grensbewaking heeft illegale migratie aangejaagd (2015)
- Reception in the region – or dumping?
- Bedoelt u opvang of dumpen in de regio? (2015)